On November 16-17, 2023. Assoc. Prof. Dr. Thanapat Wanichanon, Dean of The Faculty of Engineering, Mahidol University presided over the virtual international seminar on the topic of "Net Zero and Sustainable Cities." as part of the project titled "Towards Net Zero and Sustainable Cities with Resource Optimization, Circular Economy, and Research Network (NZS CITIES)." These virtual seminars conducted through the Zoom application, in collaboration with various national and international organizations. The goal is to disseminate knowledge and establish academic networks to measure and promote the concept of Net Zero and Sustainable Cities, with a focus on Resource Optimization, Circular Economy, and Research Network (NZS CITIES). Assoc. Prof. Dr. Trakarn Prapaspongsa, a professor from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, is serving as the project director. This collaborative project involves 13 universities from 9 countries and 1 special economic zone, including Mahidol University, Chiang Mai University, the University of Alberta, The University of Auckland, The Chinese University of Hong Kong, University College Dublin, Maastricht University, Makerere University, The University of Sheffield, University of York, Liverpool John Moores University, Macquarie University, and Chengdu University.
The Mahidol Endowment Fund is a center of support resources for universities to create various initiatives to prepare for the future world and enhance the quality of people's lives, driving the "Mahidol Endowment Fund." This marks the first time that alumni, the public, as well as various organizations, can participate in creating knowledge, wisdom, and lifelong learning by donating funds to the “Mahidol Endowment Fund” through the e-Donation channel.
The online seminar for this event was distinguished by the participation of seven esteemed speakers, as follows:
1. Associate Professor Dr. Trakarn Prapaspongsa, a distinguished member of the faculty within the Civil and Environmental Engineering Department, delivered presentations on "Towards Net Zero Cities: Leveraging Resource Optimization and Circular Economy for Net Zero Targets" and "Enhancing Sustainability in Cities: A Circular Economy and Resource Optimization Approach."
2. Mr. Tawan Champeecharoensuk, a speaker representing the Thailand Greenhouse Gas Management Organization (TGO), provided insights on "Net Zero Cities in Thailand: Policy in Action."
3. Professor Dr. Vladimir Strezov from Macquarie University presented on "Waste Management Opportunities for Net Zero and Sustainable Cities."
4. Dr. Lieven Quintens from Maastricht University explored the topic of "Circular Supply Chain Management towards Net Zero Cities."
5. Assistant Professor Chol Bunnag, Director of SDG Move or the Centre for SDG Research and Support, Thammasat University contributed a presentation on "SDG 11 Sustainable Cities and Communities: Progress and the Way Forward for Thailand."
6. Associate Professor Dr. Paola Boarin from the University of Auckland shared valuable perspectives on "Future Regenerative Cities: Insights and Experiences from Down Under."
7. Assistant Professor Dr. Calvin King Lam from Chung the Chinese University of Hong Kong presented on the "Data Politics of Urban Sustainability: Perspectives from China."